Have a read of the introduction here, then why not browse through your favourite genres:
Here, we write about different types of video games. Like films you can group games into genres that describe the sort of experience you will have. You know what to expect when you rent a Chick Flick or Thriller. Similarly, these pages help you learn what to expect from the various types of game genre, be that Rhythm Action, Adventure, Real Time Strategy or something else. Even if you like playing online casino, Rainbow Riches or bingo online we've got it covered.
Choosing a video game is another big decision. Not only are you parting with your money, but also investing considerable time to play it. A good game should entertain not only you but the others in the room, and on occasion can be the reason for getting together with old friends to share your discovery.
Once you've found a game you enjoy, a great way to find more experiences you are likely to appreciate is to look for other titles in the genre. Each of our genre pages includes a potted description and a growing list of the games we have covered.
For more input on the best gaming experiences, you can join us as we highlight the games we enjoy. The Console section then provides one place for all our review and guides on your chosen hardware.
Once you have started to pick out a few games you like, our Genre pages should help you find similar games that may also suit. Let's summarise the different types of games here:
- Adventure games are enjoyed for two reasons: they provide enemy encounters that require tactics and strategy to conquor, and they create a fantasy world in which to explore and adventure.
- Fighting games revolve around the interaction of two or more characters in some form of physical combat. Players learn to control characters through either memorisation of button combinations to access more advance moves, or by their reactions and accurate timing.
- Mini games come in a variety of shapes and sizes. What unites the genre is the speed with which players can pickup the games and the relativley short time requried to complete a level or two.
- Platforming games task you with getting from point A to point B. The world you journey through is usually based on different levels, and populated with enemies, switches and lifts to be negotiated. As you work through each level you pick up various collectables that accrue score, special abilities and access to hidden areas.
- Racing games, although sometimes seen as a sporting sub category, are a well established video game genre in their own right. They can feature a variety of driving styles ranging from the fantastical arcade racing focusing on thrills and spills (Burnout 360 or Motorstorm PS3), to the super realistic simulations that recreate every aspect of real life driving (Gran Turismo 5 Prologue PS3).
- Rhythm action games combine the enjoyment that comes from creating music with the challenge of video game scoring. The player is usually tasked with dancing on a mat, tapping a touch screen, pressing a button, singing into a mic or strumming a fake guitar controller in time with the music.
- Self improvment games tap into the popular trent in self devlopment and therpy. Experiences as diverse as Brain Trainging DS and Wii-Fit have popularised the idea that games can be about more than just having fun - they can improve your brain, body and even mental outlook on life.
- Shooting games present a world in which the character must shoot their way out of dangerous situations. They provide the player with an array of weapons tailored to specific tasks. This unavoidably involves a combination of fisticuffs and gun based fighting that dictates the violent nature of these experiences. Beneath this harsh exterior though is often an intricate tactile game - and this is usually what drives the player.
- Sporting games recreate a wide variety of real life competitive activities. Depending on the sport, these will either have an action or strategy focus. Popular sports games are often released on an annual basis, each year the game receives new player rosters and game improvements.
- Strategy games provide experiences that require quick thinking, and forward planning from the gamer. They combine the unfolding tactics of classic games like chess, with more recent board games such as Risk. Usually focusing on a theatre of war context, players enjoy the tactical overview of the battle these games provide.
- Poker Games can be played for fun or for real. In many ways like online slot machine games, if you are interested in playing for real, the largest room is Pokerstars. You can read the review on Pokerstars at Pokerlistings.com. Playing for fun is still the best way to learn, Another tip would be to play free poker tournaments - freerolls, where you actually win real money. You can find more tips on poker at Pokerlistings.com. Another fantastic game that we’ve found is online bingo, chat online and win prizes.